Life in Caixon goes on at a very relaxed pace, and it is tempting just to sit in the sun, listen to the birds, and let it wash over you. However, it would be a pity not to explore further afield with so much to see and do nearby. The list below (which is far from exhaustive) gives you a flavour of what is available in the area.
· The Pyrenées - activities: hiking, rock climbing, rafting/canoeing, paragliding, caving, road cycling, mountain biking, horse riding;
· Golf: Courses at Lannemezan/ Tarbes/ Pau/ Bagnères-de-Bigorre;
· Winter sports: skiing & snowboarding (nearest resort La Mongie Barèges, is the biggest in the French Pyrenées), snow shoe-ing, cross country skiing, ice climbing;
· Tour de France: passes nearby and through the Pyrenées in July;
· Wildlife and nature: bird watching, wild flowers, butterflies;
· Historical towns: Tarbes, Lourdes, Pau, Auch;
· Châteaux: E.g. Château de Laas, Château de Pau, Château d'Arricau Bordes, Château de Mauvezin, Château de Tostat;
· Cave Paintings: Pre-historic cave paintings at Gargas;
· Roman remains: Montmaurin Roman villa;
· Spa and casino: Casino and Aquensis thermal spa in Bagnères-de-Bigorre;
· Gourmet dining: there are superb restaurants all over the area;
· Wine tasting: Madiran and Jurancon wine regions;
· Armagnac brandy: Vineyards and distillery;
· Jazz: Marciac International Jazz Festival.
Ready to relax in the sun, or to experience all that southwest France has to offer?Send us an email or call on +44 203 002 3737.
Aquensis thermal spa - Bagnères-de-Bigorre
(photo reproduced with permission)